Monday, September 6, 2010

Grenob-luh

What a week! After an 8 hour flight, Emily and I finally arrived in London and spent 2 nights there. We are now in Grenoble with her host family. Her Madame is very nice and quite small (at least that's what Emily says. She seems quite big to me!). I've been spending most of my time in Emily's backpack, but now I have a spot on her desk. Woo! It's much more breathable.

London was awesome. We went on a 3 hour tour and saw almost all of London it seems- Buckingham Palace, Parliament and Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, the Mayor of London's office, Drury Lane and Fleet Street, Hyde Park, and the Prince Albert Memorial. Emily posted pictures on Facebook if you're interested. After the tour, we ate Pasties for lunch and visited the British Museum, V&A Museum, Herrod's, and Platform 9 3/4! That night Emily ate Thai in Soho, but I stayed at the hotel.


The next morning we had to be up sooo early so Emily could catch her flight to Lyon. At least I could sleep in the backpack. We rode a bus to Grenoble and Emily began orientation. On Saturday we moved to her host family's apartment, which is in the centre-ville (downtown), a very lively part of town! There's a restaurant across the street called le Coq... er something, but I try not to look over there because there's a picture of a Rooster and they are big and kind of intimidate me. I'm only a little kiwi!

Also on Saturday, we hiked up the hill to Le Bastille, an ancient fort that was used to protect the city way back when. The view from there is amazing! As is much of the city. The 17th century architecture is so belle! There are so many fountains and gardens here too. Unfortunately, Emily's campus was built in the 70s and is not so pretty and neither are the grounds. Oh well.
(on top is Le Bastille/ on the bottom is a picture of Grenoble and L'Isere river)

I can't wait to explore more of Grenoble. A tout a l'heure!

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing, glad to hear things are going so well :)

    ReplyDelete